Home. Home is safe, peaceful, warm. My heart is always here, but physically we have been separated for the better part of nine months. Now as summer begins and I settle back in, slowly unpacking bag after bag, reality sets in. I am home, really home.
My mom and I made these “brownies” last night. Eaten alone, I would be more inclined to call them a power bar. But with a dollop of ice cream on top they can easily pass for dessert. This recipe is relatively simple to tweak – any kind of nut can be used, and add ins can simply be chopped up almonds, or to make more decadent, a handful of dark chocolate chunks as well.
Raw Cacao Pecan Bars
- 2 cups raw pecans
- 1 1/2 cups Medjool dates (closer to 2 cups if loosely packed in a measuring cup)
- 1 cup raw cacao powder (regular cocoa powder works fine too)
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 large square of dark chocolate (optional)
1. Place pecans in food processor or Vitamix blender and pulse until finely ground.
2. Add cacao, dark chocolate, and salt. Pulse to combine.
3. Add dates one at a time and blend until moist and consistent in texture throughout.
4. Hand mix almond flour and chopped almonds into the dough.
5. Press into an 8×8 cake pan and dab the top with a paper towel to remove excess oil from the nuts.
6. Place in the freezer or fridge. Cut and serve when cold.